Friday 12 November 2010

First Washed rind Epoisses style test



I'm experimenting with some washed rind cheeses that are based on a Époisses recipe I found here. Jos Vulto is a Brookly based cheesemaker and has been a great source of inspiration to me. I made 2 in total, one was washed in a light saltwater brine for the first 2 weeks and then left in my cave (old fridge ) at 11c at around 80% humidity for 2 weeks. I then wrapped it in plastic food wrap and will leave for a further 2 months to mature. Cheese number 2 was washed in brine for a week and then washed in a Marc de Bourgogne wash for 2 weeks. It started off diluted until the last few days where I washed it in 100% Marc. It was interesting to see how they both developed and I look forward to putting them to the taste test in a few weeks. As you can see they were cross contaminated with some blue mould which at first I thought was from my Stilton. After talking to Jos he explained that it could just be in the air and doesn't have to come from the Stilton. Lacitc or washed rind cheese are very sensitive to contamination so a sterile environment is crucial. Regulare washing does help to allow desirable organisms take hold so fingers crossed... These are desirable organisms!


After 2 days, fresh out of mould.

After 2 weeks. Left brine washed, right Marc Washed

After 2 months. Right brine washed, left Marc Washed