Sunday 14 November 2010

Limburger

Based on Limburger recipe from 200 easy homemade cheeses. U bought 10 liters I'd stir milk so had to add 1/2 tsp of calcium chloride, 1/4 ma4002, 1/8 geotrichum candidum & some lipase (mild).after heading to 33. I left to ripen for 30 mins. Added 1/2 rennet and left for 30 mins. After 30 minutes the curd was far from ready for cutting. I should have added 1 tsp of rennet for the30 minute target. I've had the same problem since I started to add Lipase so maybe this has something to do with it? Does Lipage increase coagulation time?



The coagulation took around 2 hours in the end. That's 1.5 hours more than it should have so the PH may have dropped a little more than expected. After a clean break was accomplished I cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes and steered for 10 minutes then rest for 10 minuets. The whey was clear so there wasn't much butterfat lost. Sometimes I cut a little too early causing the whey to be cloudy with butterfat.

As this is more of an experiment I decided to try 3 different techniques for the next stage. The first (Limburger Test A) was to scoop straight into a colander to drain. The second (Limberger test B) was to scoop into 3 moulds where I wash the first in Marc, the second in smoked paprika and the third in a brine/bline wash. The third (Limburger Test C) will be pressed. I'd like to see what pressing does to the texture and flavour of the cheese. This will be washed in brine and Blines.

From left to right, Limburger test A, B & C