Monday 7 March 2011

plug timer

I've been thinking for a while about how I can get the fridge to run at a warmer temperature of 12c. I was going to invest in a small 12 bottle wine cooler which I was told can run at 12c but I read that they tend to dry out the cheese due to low humidity. Even when damp cloths are used it was difficult to get the humidity to the recommended 85%.

My old fridge always seems to stay around 85% humidly and runs at 8-9C so if I can increase that to 12c I'll be pretty close to my target. I decided to buy a plug timer that will just allow the fridge to switch on say, every 2 hours for 15 minutes or maybe every 3 hours for 20 minutes. It will take some time to work out the correct settings but it may just work. It's currently 9 - 12C outside so its pretty easy to control the temperature but it's during the summer when I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, the last thing I want is to make an inaccurate guess and spoil all the cheeses.