Sunday 16 January 2011

Gruyere

I have tried gruyere before without success, I think the main reason was poor quality milk and the lack of propionic shermanii powder. This time round I'm equipped with some good quality raw Guernsey milk from hurdlebrook farm and shermanii powder. To start with I warmed my 1.5 gallon of milk to 33c and added a sachet of thermophil, this is meant for emmantal but I'm hoping it will do the job! After 10 minutes I added 3/4 spoon of shermanii powder and also 1/8 tsp of lipase (sharp) I shouldn't really need this but I added some pasteurised store milk to bulk out the expensive raw milk. I then left this for another 10 minutes before adding just under 1/2 tsp of liquid animal rennet. The aim is to get a good cut around 40 minutes after adding the rennet. It ended up taking around 1 hour before the curds were ready to cut. After doing so I stured them for 15 minutes and then used a balloon whisk to cut the curds gently into smaller pieces. As I did this I raised the temperature to 48c over 40 minuted. By now a great deal of whey had been expelled due to the size of each curd and the temperature.

Below you can see the different staged of shrinkage during cooking for 40 minutes raising the temperature from 32c to 48c.







They were then pressed at 20lb for 20 minutes. Rewrtapped and pressed at 30lb for 2 hours. I then pressed it over night at 50 lb. The resulting cheese was smaller that teh usual Gouda and also very firm. The wheel was then left in a 20% brine for 8 hours and placed in teh cave. Over the next few weeks Ill wash the wheel with a light salted brine and then store for a minimum time of 6 months at 7c.