Saturday 22 January 2011

Goat/Cow #2 lactic cheese

Today I'm going to make some goat cheese without using any geotrichum candidum or penicillin candidum. This batch is going to be left for 2 months to develop a more natural rind. I could only buy 3 litters of goat milk so I added some organic store bought milk to make it up to 1 gallon. Due to the milk being pasteurised I added 1/8 tsp of M400 culture, 1/8 tsp calcium chloride and 1/8 tsp of lipase. I'm not sure if I'm using lipase correctly, I was told to use it in hard cheese if using store pasteurised milk? Lipase is an enzyme that adds flavour but is damaged during pasteurisation Once everything is added to the 1 gallon on milk I leave for 10 minutes to ripen before adding 1 drop of rennet. This cheese is a lactic cheese so it should take around 24-36 hours to coagulate at 21c.


After 24 hours the curds were ready to cut. I scooped then thinly into a cheese cloth and let it hang overnight. I wanted to get this dry so I could hand role them into little balls. I left one as it was. The other 4 I sprayed with Geo Candidum and dry salted. The remaining 3 I just dry salted.

After 24 hours the curds were around ph 4.5



After 24 hours of draining + 1kg pressing the curds were ready to role.



First 4 cheese were sprayed in geotrichum candidum + dry salted. The 3 on the right were just dry salted and 1 was left as it was.

Rinds

Natural Rinds are very difficult to maintain as there is always food on the rind for microbes to feed off. Inoculating the cheese before pressing will help promote that particular bacteria that will hopefully dominate the cheese and protect it against unwanted bacteria.One example is Geotrichum candidum mixed with a liquid such as brine, brandy, wine, beer or even oil. This can also be inoculated into the cheese curds, added to brine or used as a wash.