Saturday 15 January 2011

Goat cheese #1

I'm going to base this goat cheese on a Crottin recipe from my Making Artisan Cheese book. I don't have any Flora Danica starter, can't seem to get hold of it in the UK so I'm going to use some MA400 instead. So, step 1 is to start the process of coagulation. I start if warming 6 liters of store bought goats milk. I'd rather use raw but there aren't too many goats in London. Once the temperature hits 22c I add 1/4 tsp of M400 and leave to ripen for 20 minutes. As this is pasteurized milk I now add 1/4 tsp of calcium chloride and leave for 5 minutes. I usually dissolve in half a cup of spring water. Its now time to add 1/4 tsp Penicillin Candidum and a pinch of Geotrichum Candidum, instead of a pinch I added 1/4 tsp which may have been too much? I decided to add 1/4 tsp Lipase, this is an enzyme found in raw milk which helps with flavor. Once added I stir gently being careful not to break the surface and add 1/4 tsp liquid animal rennet diluted in half a cup if water. The temperature is meant to maintain 22c but I accidentally heated to 24.5c. This may speed up coagulation time so I will keep an eye on tonight as this should take a minimum of 18 hours to coagulate. I'll know when it's ready when I get a nice clean break in the curds.


Stage 1: 6 l