Tuesday 21 June 2011

Tomme #2 tasting after 4 months

I finally decided to take the plunge and taste my first Tomme. I was pretty excited about this as it was the first time I introduced Lipase to open up some of the flavours and pushing the sharpness. The pate was firm and the rind development was pretty hard to cut through. I prefer the rind to be consistently dense for maybe 3mm before hitting a nice consistence pate. This particular cheese had a more gradual hard rind development blending into the pate. The taste was slightly nutty with a creamy after taste. It was quite mild so I'm going to rewax the other half and mature for another few months to see how the flavour develops. My cave is running at 9c - 10c so affinage will be slower. This week I hope to pick up a new toy that will run my cave at 12c - 13c which will help speed things up a little..